Applications are due:
- April 15 for summer session admission
- August 1 for fall semester admission
- December 15 for spring semester admission
GPA: Undergraduate 2.0 minimum
Admission is open to degree-seeking or non-degree seeking students
A score of 79 or better on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for admission to the minor/certificate.
TOEFL exemption policy
Please send an official report of TOEFL, IELTS, or MELAB scores to the Office of Admissions directly from the testing agency (from one set of exam results). The UMN TOEFL institutional code is 6874.
Freshman applicants may be exempt from the total score requirement if they have:
- Scored 430 or greater on the SAT critical reading (verbal) section; or
- Scored 18 or higher on the ACT exam on the English and Reading sections.
Additionally, a student may be exempt from the writing subscore requirement if they have:
- Score greater than 470 on the SAT writing; or
- Scored greater than 20 on the ACT writing
Transfer applicants may be exempt from the total score requirement if they have:
- Successfully completed 26 or more transferable semester credits at a two or four year post-secondary institution in the United States and have completed the full freshman English requirements at that school with a grade of C or better; or
- Successfully completed 60 or more transferable semester credits at a two or four-year postsecondary institution in the United States.